Thursday, February 19, 2009

School Holidays - the Bad and the Good!

Oops. It's been ages since I blogged! Haven't had a great deal to talk about really though, I hit the 'much better after pneumonia but still really tired' stage, so life just kind of plodded on. I found that lots and lots of work got done by my kids - I was well enough to keep them here and to encourage them, but too ill still to go out.

We finally had a proper trip out on Tuesday, back to Seven Stories. We were meeting a friend whose children are in school because of course it's half term (I'd forgotten until all of a sudden all these people were trying to arrange seeing us) - and I hadn't twigged that Seven Stories would be busy. We got there and there was a special event on so it wasn't just busy it was heaving, and my children were very very cross - they like having it to themselves. Also the staff had put on loads of activities so whenever they went into one of their usual rooms to potter about they got pounced on 'It's such and such in this room today, go over there and pick up a whatsit then use it to do a thingummy' ..... my children have always *hated* organised activities! This isn't new since they've been home educated, and it may explain partially why home ed is right for us. Boy were they resentful at not being able to just potter on the computers or dress up in the attic.

The worst that ever happens in term time is that one room is out of bounds because a toddler group of some sorts is using it. Remind me to check there are no events on next time we go in school holidays! Seven Stories sends us bumf regularly about its events and I always recycle it as they're not interested - from now on I'll keep it as a blacklist of days not to go :-)) They did kind of enjoy themselves in the end, mainly because they really love the family we went with and got more of a chance to do stuff towards the end of the day as other people gradually left. The one good thing about School Holidays is that they get to see their friends who are shut away during the day all term time.

Florence is currently cutting white paper into lots of little pieces, Martha has just joined her after trying to get to grips with long multiplication, and Isaiah is writing a story. I had a nightmare last night that Florence wasn't doing enough work and she was going to fail everything in life and it would be all my fault, then when I got up this morning she wrote a story and came to ask me how to spell the words before I was even dressed. Phewee!! It's hard to know if things are going well sometimes.

6 comments:

Deb said...

I always forget when the schools are off - I'm just oblivious to that kind of schedule now. Friends whose entire calendars revolve around school terms don't understand it at all!

Anonymous said...

Thats why we try and avoid the obvious places in the holidays, we get more and more grumpy as the holidays go on.

Ruth said...

I forgot it was half term too. We tend to avoid organised stuff as well. My youngest boys were asked to take part in a hunt for "Hedwig" in Alnwick Castle and B just refused point blank.

Mam said...

Hello all thanks for the comments :-)

Denise, I can see I'm going to forget more and more and then get grumpier and grumpier at the unexpected crowds as we get further into our home ed!

Deb, My friends don't understand either, they were very confused at my blank face when they were asking what we were going to be doing and they couldn't understand why we couldn't just drop everything and go for play dates all week.

Ruth, my kids would've been horrified to be leapt on by an enthusiastic Hedwig Hunter too!

Yellow said...

Although my kids are at school, I agree that half term is a bind. As you said, everywhere tends to be jam packed. If we arrange family trips I tend towards a Saturday in term time, because people seem to shop on Sat, then do family stuff on Sundays. We've had some great times at National Trust places on a Sat, when there are weekend activities both days, but Sat is the quieter of the two.

Mam said...

Yes I've been to Seven stories a few times on a Saturday, I had to get out at the weekend with the kids before Christmas and in Jan as DH was frantically revising for exams, and it was always really chilled out, nothing like the mania we faced there last week :-))

Maybe I'll try to persuade schooling friends to meet there then. We're off to Rosebud ceramics in Sunderland (google it - I still don't know how to put a link in a comment!!) this Saturday with a friend's child in tow - hope it's not too busy!