Sunday, November 9, 2008

and another busy week since....


..... I can't remember much about it! We met a new home educated friend which was lovely, missed our home ed meeting as it's in a totally outdoor setting and it rained so I couldn't face it though braver souls still went, had lunch in ikea, ran toddlers as usual on Friday, oh and T's husband N came home from hospital permanently after his spinal injury three months ago, woo-hoo! They have a nice new ramp at home so he can get his wheelchair in and out.


The highlight of my week however has to be my trip to Edinburgh. I went to a study day for work, living way up here study days choose themselves by their location - Edinburgh isn't too bad it's only an hour and a half away by train from Newcastle. Anyhow when I got there the day was fantastic - the theme was babycalming, and it was facilitated by Caroline Deacon who wrote a book of the same name. I had had no idea what to expect, and I found a mix of ante natal teachers and postnatal leaders alongside a few other breastfeeding counsellors. Put all those heads together and you get a fabulous mix - we really unlocked the subject of enabling new parents to see what their baby might want and how he or she may be feeling, whilst remaining totally parent centred and allowing them to make their own decisions. I now have a few more ideas for classes - if I have time in the two hours to fit them in that is!


I then had three hours all to myself on Princes Street to do some Christmas shopping and general chilling out before catching the train home - what a luxury :-) I think Edinburgh has the most beautiful shopping street I've ever seen. I finished my time there by buying a crepe from an outdoor stall and eating it outside with a view of the floodlit castle, alongside a half moon. The picture above is taken from almost the exact spot I was sitting, but add a moon and some more pretty lights and floodlit old buildings to the left of the scene! Work paid for my train ticket as I was there for a study day, it was cheaper for them for me to come back a little bit later - honestly I'm so lucky to do my job I sometimes have to pinch myself to check I'm not dreaming. A whole day away in a beautiful place that I wouldn't normally go to, travelling by train so no sitting in traffic (and have you seen some of the views of the Northumberland coast on that particular line?!), meeting some wonderful people then a bit of time to shop too. I felt quite psyched up and energised to do an hours shift on the Breastfeeding line just now, which I guess is the point in study days really.

No comments: