
Next week we're off to a Shakespeare Workshop based on 'The Tempest'. Very appropriate for my family ... we had an extremely stormy time trying to read the thing, or a version of it anyway.
Martha listened begrudgingly, interrupting to complain every now and then. Isaiah decided from the word go he wasn't having any of it, so talked over me as often as he could changing the story to involve lots of poo. I'm not too worried, he always hates everything new, once he gets his head round it he'll be fine. Florence listened apart from the odd outburst of conversation about totally ireelevant subjects, the child can't help herself, then she proved that at six she had actually engaged with it all the most, I think the name 'Prospero' appealed to her, along with the idea of shoving people into a rowing boat! Rosie leapt about shouting the whole time and did her best to distract everyone, but hey ho - she's two. It helped a bit that they all know a Miranda, although afterwards when I suggested they draw pictures the girls all went and drew the real Miranda instead, and then Martha said she'd do a family tree to which I thought 'Whooo-hooo she's listened!' and anticipated seeing Antonio and Prospero linked with Miranda married to Fernando underneath .... but no. Of course I was given the real Miranda's family tree. Doh. If we'd been doing genealogy of our friends' families the afternoon would have been a huge success.
Isaiah didn't do a picture but instead came into the kitchen to act out his 'Antonio pushed Prospero off the toilet' version in glorious detail.
I hope the 'experts' running next weeks workshop have a bit more success! In the meantime in a chilled out fashion I'm planning to drop the characters into conversation between now and then.
Something a little lighter to try to read together next time I think.......

5 comments:
Hello Hazel!
thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog.
'The Tempest' is one of my favourite art works...although I have yet to read the play.
Coincidentally, I am a trained breastfeeding helper! Which organaisation do you represent? I am BFN
LX
Hello Lynn. I'm NCT, we haven't got any BFN people around here. We NCT folk are spread fairly thinly come to that ... I don't exactly live in the Breastfeeding Capital of Britain.
In fact our Head of Midwifery was quoted as saying 'we're a 'bottlefeeding culture' here in Sunderland, we mustn't undermine that' !! Yeah... like we shouldn't undermine our 'smoking and drinking too much beer culture' presumably - grrrr!!!
Mini rant over! Off to start mixing pancakes :-)
My ds asked about Shakespeare today so eagar to please I got a book of Shakespeare stories out. He curled his lip and said "Oh not him. He is a real bore" and walked off:0 I love the picture at the top of the post its is beautiful.
Another breastfeeding peer counsellor here. Just wanting to say how impressed I am with the stuff you do Hazel. Your kids seems so well educated compared to mine. LOL. And as a former English teacher (spit) I just have to applaud the lovely Shakespeare. We recently read an abridged version of Twelfth Night for Epiphany but that's as far as we've got. Must get on to those Lamb's Tales.
Yep, I can relate to that bottlefeeding culture. We were not far from Sunderland before we moved down here to Co Durham and I recall one day taking Miles to the GP to ask if his stools were normal for an exclusively bf baby. He explained that although he had been working as a GP for over ten years he had not yet encountered a 3 month old who was still exclusively bf *shock*.
I guess I shouldn't then have been suprised at the horrified reaction of a peadiatrician at Newcastle General when he was still exclusively bf at 11 months. The suggestion was even made that I was damaging his health !
Post a Comment