Thursday, November 19, 2009

November





Well it's been a bit busy here. We're supposedly moving to Leeds. Dad has got a new job, which is great. The location isn't quite so great. No offence to anyone from Leeds, it's nothing personal! Leeds is as good as anywhere that isn't within a 15 mile radius of Newcastle Upon Tyne, aka the Centre of the Universe, and preferably on the coast too. As you may gather my current location ticks all those boxes - and Leeds definitely doesn't Smileys

I'm supposedly putting my house on the market. I must admit, I'm stalling. I've coughed up £330 for a HIP, the man has been to take his photo of the boiler which is apparently a legal requirement before you can advertise a house here in England!! but I haven't yet filled in the questionnaire they sent me a week ago. And without it they can't finish the HIP so can't market the house.

We have, however, decluttered. I've got rid of about 65 large black sacks of stuff, to the tip, charity, and recycling. Dad has replastered some of the walls that needed it, and he and Grandpa have decorated my whole house from top to bottom. Bad move. Yes it's marketable. The downside is that I always disliked my house - but now it's suddenly the mansion Dad promised me in 2001 when we bought it as a run down turkey. we even have an ensuite bathroom upstairs, before now the only bathroom and loo was way down the back of downstairs, Wearside Colliery Cottage style. When I saw the finished upstairs I sat and sobbed hanging on to the banisters! I feel like a little kid - 'You can't have it! It's mine!' Smileys

Thankfully we've worked out a budget so that whilst Dad commutes before we sell we're not getting into debt. We have less money than when we were unempployed, but at least the bills aren't increasing. We're aiming for a non materialistic Christmas this year, whatever that implies. Celebrating the Birth of Jesus Christ without spending a huge amount, plus filling the hosue with clutter to replace that I've just got rid of. Not sure the kids quite get the concept though, and I feel horribly guilty.

So for now Dad commutes a couple of days a week and stays over two or three night. It's not ideal but it's working out so far.

Life and Home Education has continued as usual. Pics above of trip to Pizza Express which was *fab*. I've had very little emotional energy for fighting the Badman review. I will be handing round a petition against the new legislation. I have no objection to registering and being 'known'. I do object to being lumped into the same paragraph as :-

“Safeguarding the vulnerable – strengthening the powers of local authorities and others with regards to registration, inspection and intervention will mean effective systems are in place to protect those that most need it. The Bill will introduce a new home educators’ registration system and take new powers for Secretaries of State to intervene in youth offending teams that are failing and potentially putting young people and their communities at risk.” http://tinyurl.com/yaywqu8

Whaaaaaattt? My children are not at extra risk. They are seen by my GP every time I go along. They are seen by the lady in the corner shop. They are seen at church each week. They are seen everywhere they ever go, including home ed trips to Pizza Express in Durham with its lovely staff.. How dare they lump my children with youth offenders who have inadequate teams supporting them? How dare they assume my children are more at risk of abuse in the home? How many children are abused each year that go to school, and it's never picked up by their stressed out teachers in charge of 30 kids? Or what about all those who are bullied by said teachers, or other kids at school?

I think the government needs to take the plank out of its own eye, and is trying to divert attention from its own failing schools.

Anyone who has read my blog will know that I am from a family of abusers. I went home from school every day to a father who beat me. I had two parents who heaped emotional and mental abuse on me regularly, and kept me shut in my room. Every few months we went to see my grandparents where I was sexually assaulted. I went to a school in a middle class area, considered a 'good' state school. But did my the teachers pick up on what was going on? No. They made it worse. There were things that I was unable to do, such as get things signed by parents or bring in certain resources they would have to provide, and teachers perpetuated the abuse by punishing me for work 'undone'. Of course I was bullied by the other children, I was 'different'.

So this has somewhat poked my 'issues'. School protecting children? Pahahaha. No.

I was determined that my children would have a different life They are not abused. And they do not go to school. Yet now because of my decisions to protect them I am lumped in with abusers, whereas my own parents never were. Stinks.

1 comment:

joc4jesus said...

I'm from Leeds and it's okay really. Takes about 2 hours to get to the coast which makes it a viable daytrip. Whereabouts in Leeds you gonna live? I know the pastor of Moortown Baptist and he is a lovely chap called Graham Brownlee. It's a good church I think. Hope it all works out for you.
Love Jo
P.S. My parents sound a bit like yours so I have major sympathy for what you're saying re: home ed. It most definitely does stink.