Thursday, March 27, 2008

Recycling Rant

I had an incredibly annoying experience the other day.

We try to recycle everything possible, but around here in Sunderland (name and shame!) the council only collect thin paper (nothing remotely cardboardy), glass and aluminium cans.

So as you may imagine we end up with a pretty large stash of plastic and card in the back cupboard. I dutifully loaded up the polo's boot and trekked to the tip, near the Alexandra bridge for those of you familiar with these parts.

Plastic recycling went ok, but annoyingly the plastic bin has tiny flaps so you have to insert everything one bottle at a time. I always make sure I'm not in a hurry.

Card, on the other hand, did not go so well. The recycling skip had a net over the top, so I asked a young bloke in badge and uniform where to put mine. 'The white skip over there' he replied.

Well ..... the white skip was for landfill! If I'd wanted that I'd have saved myself the effort and put it in my wheely bin every week. Pish. I went to tell him off, I was having a bad day so felt very cross, and he looked at me like I had two heads.

So .. the polo is s till full of card. And Sunderland need to get their recycling act together, pronto please.

4 comments:

linda said...

Thirty+ years ago I had a friend who lived in Carlisle and at that time she had different collection days for different types of rubbish. I can't understand why it has taken Sunderland council so long to start recycling and as you say they are not doing it very well.

Yellow said...

I do put a fair bit of card on my compost heap, but that's not always an option, especially if I have big boxes. I do take my tetrapack cartons to Sainsbury's at Silksworth. But I don't know where takes cardboard yet.

Yellow said...

I've just looked up cardboard recycling in sunderland and found this link http://www.sunderland.gov.uk/Pages/faq/faq_display.asp?faqid=421

It says that there are cardboard recycling facilities at the Household Waste Reception and Recycling Centres based at Beach Street, Sunderland and Campground, Springwell, Washington.

Mam said...

Hi Steph
Thanks for that. Beach Street is where I was. No idea where Springwell is and I certainly don't want to start using loads of petrol, - that would kind of ruin the whole point! - but I do go to Washington anyway now and then so I may find out if it's near anything I go to.
Indigo - where my mother in law lives in Cheshire they have a recycling bin the same size as their wheelie bin and can put anything in it, even plastic, and the council takes it all away. Our teeny boxes here are ridiculous in comparison!