Thursday, March 12, 2009

Magnificent....


..... an apt word I feel for our morning at the Hatton Gallery, Newcastle Uni. We were at a home ed art class, and the 'teacher', a very much more than I am 'Hazely' Hazel, managed to capture everyone's attention and engage them in thinking about and using colour. When I say 'everyone' that's children from two up to about thirteen, schooled then dereged due to bad experiences, dereged for other reasons, and completely unschooled and - the group I find hardest to engage when taking songtime at my toddler group - parents!! No mean feat.




Isaiah was determined not to go and when outvoted, determined not to enjoy it. Instead he walked over to a table away from us to sit with his friends, got on with it, and admitted enjoying himself afterwards. Amazing :-) :-) :-)




I took Rosie out for a walk when she (inevitably) got fed up - it was bliss being able to do so knowing my older ones seemed to be behaving. I had a chance to nosy at Newcastle University, it ahs some fabulous gothic (??) style old fashioned brick buildings, and a general studious and studenty atmosphere. I had the chance to study there, not once but TWICE, and turned it down. The second time I forgive myself for, I applied for a PGCE, was offered a place, but didn't really want to be a teacher. I got pregnant instead and had my gorgeous biggest girl. Fair enough- good choice. The first time I chose to go to Sunderland Uni instead to do my first degree which I didn't enjoy, and I've done absolutely nothing with since and never intend to ... if I had to waste three years of my life I could've at least done so in such a nice place!! Do I go back in time and bash myself over the head with a UCAS directory? Probably not. As my beloved Star trek points out frequently, such a thing would change the time line irrevocably. Chances are I wouldn't be here doing what I'm doing now with these four children. Go back and jeopardise that? Pish no.




More amazing (in my world) events followed ... we sat on a bench over the main road from the Uni outside the Civic Centre/Church that sells fairtrade, and several passers by smiled - smiled!! - when they saw my four children. On a school day!! This never ever ever happens in Sunderland. Maybe I should move North of the Tyne. Or maybe it was just a good day, the sun was shining, we were in a particularly picturesque bit of the city centre, people were relaxed on lunchbreaks - maybe everyone was just ina good mood today.




Even more amazing followed .... wait for it..... in the lift at the metro station I was complimented on my children's good behaviour! Good grief. This never happens. People are sharp to point out minor misdemeanors, and slow to notice children being fairly helpful and not leaping about all over the shop bumping into things.




Fellow metro passengers were fairly smiley too, and I can't slate mackems and laud Geordies here, on the metro from Newcastle to Sunderland there'll have been a mix of both, in fact probably more Mackems, everyone knows that nobody who lives in Newcastle ever ventures to Sunderland! (leave a comment and prove me wrong someone!)




Our day finished with a trip to B's house where she plonked a plate of Spaggy Bol in front of me. Days don't come better than this! I'm glad I enjoyed it while it lasted, and have managed to Blog about it before I forget :-)

No comments: