Monday, March 9, 2009

Weird Kid, Weird Mam


Warning - major spoiler below for any 'Dancing on Ice' fans who haven't watched this week's edition yet!


My children are watching last night's 'Dancing on Ice' that they recorded on the sky box.


Isaiah is howling, he has tears flowing freely, is lying on the floor kicking his legs and hiding his face. He refuses to be comforted. The reason for his anguish? Zoe, his favourite contestant, is out.


They've all gone to clean their teeth now and I can still hear his sobs.


Dad thinks it's pretty hilarious generally, and if he continues will snap and find it irritating. He just doesn't 'get it' at all.


Neither did I, I must admit. I'm not a fan at all, as you can see I do things like Blog while they watch it with Dad. I'm not into TV generally, the only thing I watch these days is 'Star Trek - DS9'. I was watching 'Voyager' which I missed first time around but Virgin has taken it off air just as I was getting into it, and I like 'Next Generation' very much indeed.


Which leads me to my point. (Isaiah now back in lounge still crying). I didn't get it at all, until I remembered how I'd felt when I heard they'd killed off my favourite character - I sulked for two days!


I took it far too personally.


I was devastated when I was a kid, when I read Anne of Green Gables and her baby died. And don't get me started on 'Good Wives' - I had to stop reading it I was too upset. My grandma let that one slip actually before I'd got that far.


I can't even attempt to watch most drama series - far too harrowing. Probably one of the reasons I've got out of TV watching. The writers draw you in then hit you hard.


I'm prone to being scared easily too. On the episode of DS9 we saw last week they suddenly found a dead body in a cave, 3 years old and very decayed, of a woman who they'd just been talking to (some time travel thingydoodah).


I couldn't go to the loo in the dark by myself that night.


Mad, mad, mad. And my poor son has inherited it.


He's very like me. He reads, he reads a *lot*. Once he's into a book he's gone. He feels the plight of the characters he likes in books or on TV very deeply. He's imaginative, and he can be prone to living for brief spells in some alternative universe.


He gets scared too. The girls happily watch Dr Who, he can't without having nightmares. Less scary stuff than that affects him too.


He's prone to snapping in anger and can be moody, but inbetween he's sensitive to the needs of others and thinks very deeply about 'real' stuff as well as the imaginary. This is like me. If someone I know is suffering I think about nothing else. Dad will think about them then move on to 'What's for tea?' - far more practical with a houseful of kids I must admit!


I guess it's my job to explain his feelings to his much more matter-of-fact father!! Thanks goodness he is matter-of-fact, as are the two older girls so far. Wouldn't be good if we were all sulking, crying or generally away with the fairies, especially if we all liked the same thing so it was all at the same time! Doesn't bear thinking about. Isaiah needs a nice matter of fact wee wifey to keep his feet more or less on the ground one day. And keep things together when he's moody and depressed.


He's still crying. The girls are doing push ups with their dad, including the baby!

1 comment:

Yellow said...

Poor lad, give him a hug, and a pat on the back for caring & getting involved. My kids have been watching the Comic Relief dance thing, and before that they enjoyed Strictly Come Dancing. Only because it was on for no particular reason, and I observed thewy were getting involved, dancing round the room, making comments of the performances and listening and arguing with the judges criticisms. So we ended up watching as a family and voting in the finals.
That kind of TV is great, they see people trying hard and being good sports, they follow it through, and are involved. Good stuff.