Thursday, December 13, 2007

Get off my ass!


Hello to anyone reading due to the link from Mel's blog http://www.bean-sprouts.blogspot.com/ thanks for the mention Mel! Melanie is my friend's sister and she is very 'green'. Dad aspires to be very very green but realistically we get about as far as taking the recycling to the , errr, recycling place and composting, and using the odd real nappy and ecover product. Oh and we wash at 30 degrees and abolished the dishwasher :-) It's a work in progress. We do try and are getting better.


Speaking of all things green - it makes me really really *really* cross that so many people think they need huge 4x4's to get from A to B. What on earth do they need an engine that guzzles that amount of fuel for? At the end of the day you have to stick to 30mph. Especially in the school car park, this gigantic imposing tank revs up, the driver oblivious to all passing kids because they are too low down to see from her throne so almost killing quite a few, swoops into a parking space and a half, and out of school comes their teeny skinny short only child, usually a girl, who probably fits in the ashtray :-))) Who knows what kind of a world the teeny only children of these tank drivers are going to inherit - a choked with petrol fumes one with no oil left probably. I drive a 1 litre polo, Dad drives a diesel Touran, the most economical 7 seater we could find for our big family.


I'm especially cross just now as I just drove the kids to the panto an hour away, and all the way down then back up the A1 every time I overtook a lorry in my little polo some monstrous jeep thingy came up behind me, shining its lights right in my mirror because they are higher, intimidating me until I managed to get past and pull back over. Who do these people think they are? 'My car is bigger than yours, so I'm going to drive faster, nyar nyar!' Pish. Get a life!

5 comments:

Melanie Rimmer said...

I'm not so sure 4x4s deserve all the vitriol poured on them. I wrote about it at:
http://bean-sprouts.blogspot.com/2007/10/are-4x4s-evil.html

Mam said...

Good grief I wasn't about to deflate anyone's tyres :-))) Yes you are right - my friend, now passed away, needed a huge car for his wheelchair, your mate needs a 4x4 to pull his pigs - they're not the folk I was moaning about. If your friend then detached his pigs, drove up the A1 and flashed his lights in my rear view mirror - then I might complain, if he detached them and trundled up the A1 in a sensible fashion I probably wouldn't notice him - or if I did and chose to moan about gas guzzlers then hands up, I'd be wrong.

Melanie Rimmer said...

What is it you object to, though? Is it the car, or is it the aggressive driving? Not all 4x4 drivers are aggressive. And not all aggressive drivers are in 4x4s. It seems like the whole "4x4" thing is a red herring, here.

Mam said...

Possibly. Yes some eejits drive anything badly, and lots of 'gas guzzlers' aren't also '4x4s'. They just stick in my head because so many of the cars up my backside recently have been! Although there was this really annoying jag today........ but I digress. Ok then, how about 'drivers who drive badly annoy me, and drivers who are in cars with excessively thirsty engines for no real benefit other than their egos annoy me, and I have manifested this by moaning about 4x4s because a lot of drivers who fit those categories that I have noticed recently have been'! 4x4's in particular kill more children because you can't see out of them very well, which again is less of a problem for your mate driving down a country lane, with the car in the setting it is designed for, but is very relevant when the main thing the car is used for is doing the school run.

Melanie Rimmer said...

You're absolutely right, Mam, and I don't mean to come to your blog and harangue you like this! I've just got a bee in my bonnet about easy targets like 4x4s, air travel etc.