I have decided I like 'things' far far too much. In fact if left unchecked I can have shopaholic tendencies. What is it about new 'stuff' that feels so good? Staggering home from town with carrier bags full of bits and pieces.... hoying them on the sofa, then the excitement of rustling through them all, pulling out everything I've bought.
I think I'm rebelling with Rosie against the lean years when we were first married, had three kids one after the other and didn't ahve two pennies to rub together. Actually, apart from my nappy splurge last week which was a very reasonable and economical deal, Rosie hasn't had much spent on her at all. She just isn't exciting to buy for in comparison with two big girls!
As well as stuff for my girls I could also happily spend a fortune on books, makeup, shoes, accessories...
I have actually been fairly good this last year. I still love new things but having realised that I'm drowning in clutter already I've been far more frugal. I'm also trying to be a lot 'greener' and so using things I've already got.
The point of all this waffle is that this morning I needed to go to John Lewis to exchange a swimming costume for Martha. And thats what I did. For one exactly the same price. Walking past rows and rows of clothes that would have been perfect for Florence and Martha without buying Any. At. All.
Having planned to have lunch out anyway, I rewarded myself by spending a fiver extra and eating somewhere really nice rather than going to Greggs and heading for a bench. I still spent far, far less than if I'd given way to temptation, and this way Rosie and I had a really nice chill out and some decent food brought to us with the washing up all done. If shopping with a baby and pushchair is dehumanising, a decent lunch in a place with spacious tables, highchairs and child friendly staff, and spending time over eating whilst interacting with a baby is rehumanising.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I have similar feelings about arriving home with arms full of carrier bags, so long as hubby is out, and I have a chance to ditribute the contents discretely before he gets home. I used to spend a fortune on small items, yet never feel like I could justify the cost of a good quality, much needed, large item.
Now I'm getting a similar satisfied buzz out of being frugel. We are complex creatures.
Post a Comment